Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Mincare Moldovaneasca


My take on Moldovan food:
First of all I have to express my geniune interest with the ever-present salom (sausage). Its everywhere you go....and it comes with a free-gift-with-purchase...the smell. It smells interesting and the ones who eat it take on the smell, which is extremely pleasant when riding on a reutira.(bus sorta thing with people crowded in like clowns in a circus car) By the way my host mom packs salom in my lunch everyday, and everyday I have to dispose of it simply because of the smell.
Traditional Masa: (food)
I had the pleasure to attend my 2nd masa on Sunday. Masa's are a huge feast where the women prepare food and people come by in groups and sit at the table to eat. On Sunday I counted 57 small platers of food. All of the platters are small and when one becomes empty they quickly replace it with a new dish. Its very different than a family gathering in the states. The food is very interesting, for example:
Chicken jello complete with a whole rooster head - including the little spiky red thing on top of the head
Whole raw fish - complete with the eyes, smell, and garnished with something green
Fried mystery meat - just bad enough to make you want some sort of condiment to pour all over it
All of this comes complimentary with flies. This is the good part - there are no serving spoons. Everyone eats out of the main dish even though everyone has been given a small saucer to eat off of. So at any given point in the meal there are arms reaching over and around you with their fork But the best part is that they serve wine with everything! There were 12 of us at the table and they had ONE glass that was passed around to each person. After you drank the wine you have to pass it back to the person with the wine and the refilled the galss and gave it to the next person.
Needles to say I expereinced a little culture shock and I had to leave and go buy a bottle of water. During the entire meal they kept telling me eat, EAT! I guess my face must have had a confused look on it?
During the meal they kept asking me about how rich americans are and how much money I made in America, and how much a house, apartment cost. I feel bad for them and lie often trying to not make the situation worse. They have no problems asking personal questions. They are blown away by the fact that I do not get paid for my time as a volunteer....they aren't able to comprehend the idea.
Sorry if there are tons of mistakes in my typing I typed this really fast.

No comments: